Dairy free salted caramel ice cream recipe
- 1 cup *homemade pecan and walnut 'cream' (homemade nut milk with very little water) (soak nuts overnight in refrigerator)
- 1 can full fat, organic coconut milk (refrigerate and only scoop the fat solids at the top, discard the water at the bottom) (refrigerate for overnight)
- 1 medium/small purple sweet potato (you can also use white here)
- 4 pitted medjool dates
- 1 tbsp non alcoholic vanilla extract
- 1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt (to taste)
- 1 scoop collagen peptides this is optional- omit if you want to keep it vegan
- chopped pecans
- Place can of coconut milk in the refrigerator and your ice cream attachment in the freezer overnight.
- Cover raw walnuts and pecans (or any nut of your choice) with filtered water in a glass container and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain and rinse nuts thoroughly, until water is clear.
- Place nuts in your food processor with 1/2 - 1 cup of filtered water. Blend thoroughly.
- Strain nuts through a nut milk bag.
- Peel and gently boil your purple sweet potato in filtered water- about 5 minutes.
- Set them aside to cool. (the liquid from this is very nutritious, you can use it for a tea or to cook other food in)
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooled, add them with ~1/2 cup of sweet potato liquid and 2 dates to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Measure into a saucepan 1 cup of sweet potato, 1 cup of nutmilk + scoop only the fat solids from your can of coconut milk- discard or use the coconut water for a different recipe.
- Add vanilla, salt, collagen and gently warm the liquid to incorporate everything evenly on very low heat- you do not want to scald/boil it.
- Set the mixture aside to cool.
- Set up ice cream maker and get your mixture started churning.
- Chop pecans and the remaining 2 dates and add to the ice-cream. It will take about 20 minutes to complete.
Like the ingredient swaps in this recipe? Click here for support and lists of common swaps!