This recipe for this classic baked pancake is the perfect lazy breakfast treat! It is such an indulgent and fun thing to share. With only a few ingredients, you can whisk this up in no time with very little clean up. Stand at the stove flipping pancakes or waffles? Try popping all your batter for this Gluten Free Dairy Free Dutch Baby right in the oven and then enjoying your cozy cup on the couch while you wait instead! Using eggs, cassava flour, gluten free flour and oat milk, we make this delicious baked treat into a healthy, balanced Sunday staple.
The Dutch Baby pancake is known but many names but it is simple enough to memorize the recipe if you make it with some regularity as I do. It’s also a show stopping and low budget breakfast treat! The ingredients are cost effective and easy to find in most health food and grocery store natural baking isles. There really isn’t much to say about it other than it is the easiest recipe that wows your family. Be warned, though, it is dang good so I usually only split it with one person. If making it for a larger crowd, I will double my Gluten Free Dairy Free Dutch Baby batter mix, serve smaller pieces and then bake one after the other (or in two cast iron pans if I have them available).
Gluten Free Dairy Free Dutch Baby
- cast iron skillet
- measuring cups
- fine mesh strainer
- mixing bowl
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 2 tbsp melted and cooled liquid oil (ghee, dairy free butter, coconut oil or vegetable oil)
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour (regular or gluten free)
- 2 Tbsp white rice flour **can do 1/4 total of all purpose flour instead
- 1/4 cup cassava flour
- Preheat oven and cast iron pan to 425 degrees F.
- Whisk eggs and almond milk with melted ghee/oil
- Slowly sift the flours into the mix, stopping to work out any lumps (I skip this sometimes and strain only at the end but sifting twice is ideal). Do not over whisk and do not under whisk, a fine mesh strainer helps a lot.
- Pull the pan out of the oven and close the door to make sure the heat says in the oven during this part. Add 1 Tbsp of butter to coat your pan.
- Strain mixture into the pan and coat the sides of your pan in the batter. Place back in oven. Do not open the doors at all for 20-25 minutes.Serve warm.