Gluten Free Baked Bacon Cheese Bites
- 1 packet bacon- gluten free, free range cut in half down the middle
- 1 onion* caramelized (see below)
- 3 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup dates thick slices
- fresh sage leaves
- firm cheese (I like goat gouda) cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Peel and cut your choice of onion in half. Then make sauté slices along the grow lines of the onion and cut away from the end of the bulb.
- *Heat a large frying pan to medium low heat.
- *Once pan is heated, add about a tablespoon of your choice of fat- make sure to use a high heat oil like ghee or avocado oil and salt, stir frequently.
- *Continue cooking, adding more salt if necessary, until onions are transparent and sweated through.
- *Once onions begin to brown, turn the heat up to medium or medium high (setting can vary depending on how hot your stove runs), and begin to stir less often. Only do so to prevent blackening or sticking to the pan.
- *Once onions begin to caramelize, before they burn, add your choice of liquid to deglaze the pan. Set aside to cool.
- Cut one package of bacon strips in half, hamburger style. Each bite will be half a strip of bacon.
- Set your oven to 425 degrees F to preheat while you assemble.
- On a lined baking sheet (preferably with raised sides), place a few strips of bacon to begin assembling.
- Smear a dollop of mustard onto the bacon and layer with 1/2 tsp of caramelized onions, 1/2 a date, 1 cube of cheese, 1 medium sized sage leaf.
- Fold over the ends of the bacon slice and turn over so the fold side is touching the pan.
- Leave about 1-2 inches of space between each bite.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes, checking occasionally. Time can vary depending on your oven and how thick your bacon pieces are.
- Once out of the oven, use a spatula to scoop each bite onto a plate lined with paper towels to catch excess grease. Let cool for 10 minutes. Enjoy!