What was your favorite part of cupcakes or cake? I was always a big fan of the frosting. I have to say, one of the hardest swaps to investigate in my journey to healthier eating was frosting. What do you do without butter and powdered sugar? Honestly, they’re the main things! It’s hard to find something that matches up. While I haven’t quite found my perfect buttercream, this is a dark chocolate close second! I honestly could eat this on its own like pudding- and you totally can because it is full of healthy fats and low sugar. I love avocados, but it was a crazy notion to me a few years ago when I learned that you could make an avocado based dessert. It took a bit of experimenting to play with the flavor and get that rich chocolate instead of that underlying avocado taste. I have tried a few other avocado puddings and many of them still had that avocado flavor. I loved this frosting because there is no way to tell that there is avocado in it. All you get is creamy, delicious chocolate avocado frosting.
Avocado Chocolate Frosting
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 4 tbsp coconut sugar
- 5 tbsp cocoa or cacao powder
- 1 scoop collagen peptides
- 2 tbsp non alcoholic vanilla
- 1 tsp tapioca starch
- pinch salt to taste
- Mash avocado and ghee together thoroughly (you can food process for a creamy texture if desired).
- Freeze your bowl and beaters for at least 15 minutes.. the longer the better
- Refrigerate your avocado and ghee during this time- I tried adding it to my bowl in the freezer and they both get too hard to beat. Refrigeration is your best bet.
- Setup your mixer and pull out your cold bowl, add the ghee and avocado. Beat on high.
- Add collagen, coconut sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Beat again until smooth and creamy.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and add half the cacao or coco powder and the tapioca starch.
- Scrape again and add the remainder of the cocoa powder.
- Beat again, making sure all the lumps are out. Taste test to check if it needs any adjustments.
- Spread onto a completely cool cake- if there is any warmth to your cake your frosting will not set properly and it will soak into the cake.
- Store in refrigerator to let it set for up to one week.